Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Living with people is hard. Living with people that don't speak English is even harder.

My record with roommates:

First year at Kent: unsteady at first...some bumps in the road - but who doesn't have a issues ONCE in a while when living in one room with another girl. All in all, my first roommate experience was good.

Second year at Kent: (first semester)She was hardly there, I actually liked here. So all in all - it was good. (second semester) She was a crazy fucking bitch who didn't have a descent bone in her horse face body.

Third year at Leicester: I lived in my own room. The girls next to me were only loud when they were drunk.

Fourth year at Kent: This was a GREAT roommate experience. I even would go so far as to say I miss it. I don't miss the spats between me and Kelly about cleaning, but that was only about 4 times in all. My apartment with Kelly was my first home away from home and it felt good to have.

London: The place was a hell-hole. Though I had my own personal space, just because the Hawkridge (the housing from hell) seemed to warrant hatred towards whomever I would have lived with. I guess that's just how council estates go.

This brings us to Hannover! Which was the whole point of this blog posting in the first place.

Ok - So living with Harsi is great. He's not a problem at all and we get along with hardly any upsets (mostly just me being emotional). But our other roommate...that's a completely different story. I don't know if me, my English tongue, or if I have a some sort of bitchiness that comes off although I don't mean it. But I swear he hates me with a certain passion you can't have for another person. It's not even a GOOD hatred. It's the kind of hate that completely disregards a person from your life. Granted that I don't speak very good German, I should still get talked to (instead of channeling questions through Harsi).

My non-existance in the life of the other German(s) -he has a girlfriend who's over all the time- I live with is something that really bothers me. I suppose it would bother anyone who's trying to immerse into a culture that's language is hard as hell to learn - but I'm not finding anyway to combat it. THEREFORE I must accept this. How to do this in my own style:

I plan to act as ridiculous as possible around him. Say random things (yes, he knows English - it's not like we can't interchange in English if needed), strange twitches are very possible, and I'm considering blurting out random sounds like "MMRRPHH".

TODAY for instance, I was in the kitchen with Harsi and said roommate walks in and only talks to Harsi, only looks at Harsi, only addresses Harsi. So behind him I'm doing a little shimmy dance, looking like a moron. He DID happen to turn around and look at me but only because Harsi was laughing and looking at me while listening to him talk. Silence and annoyance emerged from the eyes, face, and aura of our roommate.

I feel that one reaction is better than no reaction.

MMMRRRRMMMPPHHHH!

No comments: